17 April 2010

inkpoppin'

I wrote this for the latest inkpop contest, but it's no where near done so I didn't enter it

[x]

I yawned, stretching luxuriously in the bed, sleepily wishing I wasn’t one of those wake-with-the-sun people. Flipping over onto my side, I grinned once I recognized the sight before me.


There he was. Eric. My Eric.

My angel.

He was snoring slightly, curled up on his side with the tips of his wings brushing the ground. Dark brown hair fell across his eyes, one arm thrown across them to block out the harsh, unforgiving light of the sun.

The blue comforter wasn’t even covering him, giving me a nice view of his rubber ducky pajama pants. My grin widened, remembering how I had given those to him last summer. It was his birthday, or at least the day we decided was his birthday, and he was finally seventeen. Two months before I would be, since we both knew he was older than me anyhow.

I didn’t feel ashamed, watching him in the early morning’s light. I never had.

He was my guardian angel, after all, and had seen every awkward and embarrassing moment of my life. Every heartbreak. Every tear that feel down my face.

It just happened that he ended up stuck in our world, and had enough energy to make his body mostly mortal so he could actually interact with the one person he knew.

That was when I was sixteen. Almost two years ago.

We’d spent practically every moment since then together.

It was strange, how easily I accept what he was. He could hide the wings when he needed to, but when it was just us he felt comfortable enough to leave them out. I loved that he trusted me that much.

I ran a lazy finger along his jaw line, tracing the contours of his face. He rumbled awake, giving me one of his heart-stopping smirks through sleep-hazed eyes. “Hey.”

“Hey yourself, sleepy head,” I whispered. “I didn’t want to wake you up, but we have to get down to school and…yeah.” I finished lamely. I couldn’t find the words to say what I wanted to, like usual.

“But you wanted to talk to me, and get a kiss or something?” he chuckled. “It amazes me every day that you take it all so in stride, Riana.”

“Yeah, well, it amazes me every day when I wake up and you’re really here. That you’re not just a dream.”

“Well, it’s been,” he paused a moment to think, doing calculations in the air, “one thousand and thirty some mornings, and I’ve been here every single one of them, so…I’d say you really don’t have a lot to be worried about. Me, on the other hand? Well, I have to be prepared that any day you’ll wake up and decide ‘This is ridiculous. It can’t be real’ and either throw me out or try to rip my wings off.”

“I would never do that!”

He grinned. “It’s always a possibility.”

I smacked his arm, rolling my eyes. “For someone else, maybe. Now, do you want breakfast or not?”

No comments:

Post a Comment